Why "St. Cuthbert's Island"?

Saint Cuthbert was a Celtic monk who lived in the 7th century.
He received visitors at his monastery in Northumbria and was even appointed a bishop, but he yearned for the life of an ascetic. While living at the monastery on the island of Lindisfarne, he sought to spend time with the Lord whenever possible. Early on, he practiced solitude on a small island that was linked to Lindisfarne by a land bridge when the tide was low. This tiny island, known as Saint Cuthbert’s Island, was a training ground of sorts—a place to grow in faith and in love for God.

I chose to name my blog after this island for two reasons:
1) I hope that it will be a place where I can spend time alone with God, growing in my love for Him.
2) Perhaps, when the tide is low, others may find their way to this tiny island
and, by God’s grace, be blessed by what they find there.

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

NBC Boycott

I wrote NBC on Monday to let them know how upset I was about their handling of the Virginia Tech story. The killer chose to mail his "message" to NBC, and they legitimized his actions by broadcasting it. I strongly believe that the media should not mention mass murderers' names, show their faces, and certainly not promote them by spreading their messages. This young man was disillusioned to the point that he didn't care if he lived or died. He thought, "I have nothing to live for. Might as well die and take a few others out with me. Might as well go out with a bang." Then he carefully planned, penned, posed for, and packaged his "ticket to fame" that was delivered to NBC. His hope was to become famous. Because of NBC's asinine decision, he is. Because they made the revolting choice to go along with the killer's designs, his message has now been seen around the world by millions.

What's to stop the next delusional mind from seeking to make a name for himself? Thanks to NBC's response, would-be murderers knows that such fame is within reach. It would seem they have a platform, an open forum of sorts. When will we realize that giving killers the publicity they want is only encouraging others to imitate them? Thanks for nothing, NBC.

In short, I wrote to let NBC know that I am boycotting their network and any companies that advertise on the nightly news. I'm not one to boycott stuff much, but I really was upset by this. Just in case anyone else was upset and wants to write NBC, the address is Nightly@NBC.com.

Lord, have mercy on us.

No comments: