Why "St. Cuthbert's Island"?

Saint Cuthbert was a Celtic monk who lived in the 7th century.
He received visitors at his monastery in Northumbria and was even appointed a bishop, but he yearned for the life of an ascetic. While living at the monastery on the island of Lindisfarne, he sought to spend time with the Lord whenever possible. Early on, he practiced solitude on a small island that was linked to Lindisfarne by a land bridge when the tide was low. This tiny island, known as Saint Cuthbert’s Island, was a training ground of sorts—a place to grow in faith and in love for God.

I chose to name my blog after this island for two reasons:
1) I hope that it will be a place where I can spend time alone with God, growing in my love for Him.
2) Perhaps, when the tide is low, others may find their way to this tiny island
and, by God’s grace, be blessed by what they find there.

Monday, November 12, 2007

All Saints' (12) Brother Lawrence

"In the way of God, thoughts count for little, love does everything. And it is not necessary to have great things to do. I turn my little omelette in the pan for the love of God; when it is finished, if I have nothing to do, I prostrate myself on the ground and adore my God, Who gave me the grace to make it, after which I arise, more content than a king. When I cannot do anything else, it is enough for me to have lifted a straw from the earth for the love of God.
"People seek for methods of learning to love God. They hope to arrive at it by I know not how many different practices; they take much trouble to remain in the presence of God in a quantity of ways. Is it not much shorter and more direct to do everything for the love of God, to make use of all the labors of one's state in life to show Him that love, and to maintain His presence within us by this communion of our hearts with His? There is no finesse about it; one has only to do it generously and simply."

--from The Practice of the Presence of God (a wonderful little book that, in my experience at least, surprisingly few have read)

3 comments:

T. Michael W. Halcomb said...

Clay,
You've been tagged, for more on this click here:

http://phponenine.blogspot.com/2007/09/remembering-history.html

--michael

Julie said...

Clay,

Thanks for the encouragement. The blogging community is great like that. I find it refreshing, challenging, and encouraging most of the time. Every once in a while, I put unneccessary pressure on myself.

I have to say...your choices for All Saints' Day entries show me (again) how alike we seem to be. I would have chosen the same. Plus, I just love that you love the saints so much. Not everyone values that!

God bless you and your family...keep blogging!

Danielle Knapp said...

RYC:
Clay,
Does that mean you are done with seminary already? Sometimes I'm not sure if Jesus will come back before I manage to graduate first. Yeah, I don't understanding it, I'm neck deep in Exegesis, Hebrew Grammar Analysis and Word Study, and noooooowwwww my muse decides to play and won't let me do my hw till she's had her fun, glad you enjoyed it. I've enjoyed your little blurbs over the weeks.