Why "St. Cuthbert's Island"?

Saint Cuthbert was a Celtic monk who lived in the 7th century.
He received visitors at his monastery in Northumbria and was even appointed a bishop, but he yearned for the life of an ascetic. While living at the monastery on the island of Lindisfarne, he sought to spend time with the Lord whenever possible. Early on, he practiced solitude on a small island that was linked to Lindisfarne by a land bridge when the tide was low. This tiny island, known as Saint Cuthbert’s Island, was a training ground of sorts—a place to grow in faith and in love for God.

I chose to name my blog after this island for two reasons:
1) I hope that it will be a place where I can spend time alone with God, growing in my love for Him.
2) Perhaps, when the tide is low, others may find their way to this tiny island
and, by God’s grace, be blessed by what they find there.

Saturday, May 30, 2009

Loving With Our Ears

"The first duty of love is to listen." -- Paul Tillich

I am a multi-tasker. While it's true that I am fairly capable of doing more than one thing at a time, for me this term more often than not has another meaning. It means that while I'm doing something I should be doing, I'm also doing something I want to be doing.

Lately, as we're getting ready to move to Texas, my down time has been on the computer or watching TV. Darina's way of relaxing is more relational. So, I've been "listening" while I play.

I haven't loved my wife well at all lately, and a couple of nights ago she let me know it. I also realized that I haven't loved the Lord well lately either. Isn't it funny how when we need to "relax" or be "recharged" we often just waste time with stuff that neither relaxes nor recharges?!

Oh well, thank God for grace & for committed, forgiving wives.

This quote hit the spot for me.
When I read it, I was convicted (in a very good way).

May we love with our ears today (...& eyes..& minds--I hear real listening involves all 3 of these...who'da thunk it?).

Listeners make better lovers!

4 comments:

Danielle Knapp said...

Hey Clay,
Thanks for that reminder. It's really hard to listen well. So where in the great state of Texas (my home country) are you getting the great blessing of moving to?

Jimmy Gross said...

you are a great writer. very real.

Clay said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Clay said...

Hey, Danielle. We're moving back to Lubbock, my home town. Don't really know what to expect, but I'm excited about being closer to family again.

Jimmy, thank you for reading. I'm so blessed to have your friendship.