Why "St. Cuthbert's Island"?

Saint Cuthbert was a Celtic monk who lived in the 7th century.
He received visitors at his monastery in Northumbria and was even appointed a bishop, but he yearned for the life of an ascetic. While living at the monastery on the island of Lindisfarne, he sought to spend time with the Lord whenever possible. Early on, he practiced solitude on a small island that was linked to Lindisfarne by a land bridge when the tide was low. This tiny island, known as Saint Cuthbert’s Island, was a training ground of sorts—a place to grow in faith and in love for God.

I chose to name my blog after this island for two reasons:
1) I hope that it will be a place where I can spend time alone with God, growing in my love for Him.
2) Perhaps, when the tide is low, others may find their way to this tiny island
and, by God’s grace, be blessed by what they find there.

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Cuthbert's Devotion

I came across this account of Saint Cuthbert in a beautiful book that was lent to me:
While on Lindisfarne, Cuthbert used to pray day and night. Sometimes he prayed in solitude on Hobthrush Isle (also known as St. Cuthbert's Island -- my note). At other times he used to work with his hands so he could stay awake to pray. He also walked all around the island to see how everything was getting on. As he walked he sang psalms. He slept little, sometimes going all day without sleep. Even when he was sleeping if he was unexpectedly awakened he was never angry. He used to say, "No one who awakens me angers me. He who wakes me up makes me happy for driving away the heaviness of sleep and making me think of something useful." When Cuthbert celebrated Mass he could not do it without shedding tears. When he sang he sang from a full heart. The music often broken by the sound of his sighs. He was upright and holy in his personal life. He reproved wrongdoing in others but was most kind and gracious with the penitent. He was even known during confession to break into tears, thus by his example prompting greater penitence and more complete forgiveness.
As time went on Cuthbert had a greater desire to be alone with God. He withdrew more and more to spend time on Hobthrush Isle....

from p. 33 of Cuthbert and the Animals by John McManners

No comments: