Why "St. Cuthbert's Island"?

Saint Cuthbert was a Celtic monk who lived in the 7th century.
He received visitors at his monastery in Northumbria and was even appointed a bishop, but he yearned for the life of an ascetic. While living at the monastery on the island of Lindisfarne, he sought to spend time with the Lord whenever possible. Early on, he practiced solitude on a small island that was linked to Lindisfarne by a land bridge when the tide was low. This tiny island, known as Saint Cuthbert’s Island, was a training ground of sorts—a place to grow in faith and in love for God.

I chose to name my blog after this island for two reasons:
1) I hope that it will be a place where I can spend time alone with God, growing in my love for Him.
2) Perhaps, when the tide is low, others may find their way to this tiny island
and, by God’s grace, be blessed by what they find there.

Saturday, May 19, 2007

Graduation

I graduated today. I still have 3 classes to take this summer, but today I walked across the stage.
It was nice.
The strange thing is...I don't know how I will use this degree. I believe God called me here, but I don't know if I'll ever need this degree professionally.
I hope He uses it. I sure enjoyed my time here, even though it put us in the hole financially.
It's one of those things: you're obedient to what you think is right and then you don't see the results you expected. You just have to trust.

The graduation ceremonies were good. The theme of the day was--God's greatness, not ours. Again and again, people talked about God being special, not Asbury Seminary. We were urged to take our experiences with us--the good and the bad--and to remember our time here. I pray that I will. One thing I have learned is that I don't need a classroom to learn. I just want the learning to have benefit for someone else.
If you are an instrument in the Lord's workshop, you have to trust that He knows what kinds of tasks you're suited for and which instances call for you specifically. I guess the Master knows how & when to use His tools. The important thing is to be available, to love, and to be humble.

God, please use me. Fill me with Your Spirit. Equip me. Put me to work. Keep me close to You.

In Jesus' Name,
Amen

2 comments:

Allison said...

Congratulations! We are proud of you. I'm hope you see God's plan in all of this sooner rather than later. I love you. I am proud of you!

maplesjess said...

I am so proud of you. You're post made me cry. I love you so much! And our God is so good! I believe and trust with you that you did the right thing. I miss you & the rest of your beautiful family! We love y'all so much! I have to say that I am jealous of Mom & Dad since they are able to be there & celebrate with you. So glad they could be there - just wish we could be too!