Why "St. Cuthbert's Island"?

Saint Cuthbert was a Celtic monk who lived in the 7th century.
He received visitors at his monastery in Northumbria and was even appointed a bishop, but he yearned for the life of an ascetic. While living at the monastery on the island of Lindisfarne, he sought to spend time with the Lord whenever possible. Early on, he practiced solitude on a small island that was linked to Lindisfarne by a land bridge when the tide was low. This tiny island, known as Saint Cuthbert’s Island, was a training ground of sorts—a place to grow in faith and in love for God.

I chose to name my blog after this island for two reasons:
1) I hope that it will be a place where I can spend time alone with God, growing in my love for Him.
2) Perhaps, when the tide is low, others may find their way to this tiny island
and, by God’s grace, be blessed by what they find there.

Friday, May 25, 2007

Letdown

It's probably normal to feel a letdown upon completing a difficult season. This past semester was the most demanding I've ever had (as far as workload is concerned). And though it's only been a week, I feel I've done next to nothing since graduation. In actuality, I've driven Mom & Dad back to the airport, watched Joshua all day on Tuesday, kept Lydia at home, and I've begun reading for summer classes. Yet I've mainly goofed off. I have things I want to do and need to do, but haven't done.
Too hard on myself? No, I don't think so. What I've been feeling this week is not guilt--rather, it's a conviction of the Spirit.

Earlier today, I read an account of a housewife who felt pulled in a hundred directions by her obligations and by the many distractions that drain her energy. She didn't mind being drained of her energy... it was the purposelessness of such draining that bothered her. Intentionally giving of oneself, she said, leaves one feeling refreshed. She, however, felt that her unfocused busy-ness resulted in her energy being siphoned away--like water going down the many holes of a drain.

That's how I feel--unfocused.
It shows in that I don't even know what to write about in this blog.

One portion of my daily prayers is taken from Psalm 90. It says:

May the beauty of the Lord our God be upon us.
Establish Thou the work of our hands.
Establish Thou the work of our hands, dear Lord.

Part of God's establishing the work of our hands must be to show us what work
we should do in the first place!
Oh God, may I live with purpose. May that purpose be You.
Sound vague? I think it leaves room for individuality while making sure we stay on course. "Living for God on purpose" sounds like a pretty good way to live.

2 comments:

maplesjess said...

I struggle with this on a continual basis. What is my personal purpose? I think you are right...Let my purpose be God, be a journey towards and for Him. For me, it is a daily question, a daily reflection, a daily prayer, a daily seeking.

Clay said...

I totally agree. It's important to have an overall life mission and then to seek God specifically in the varying circumstances of life.
Thanks for responding, Jessica!