Why "St. Cuthbert's Island"?

Saint Cuthbert was a Celtic monk who lived in the 7th century.
He received visitors at his monastery in Northumbria and was even appointed a bishop, but he yearned for the life of an ascetic. While living at the monastery on the island of Lindisfarne, he sought to spend time with the Lord whenever possible. Early on, he practiced solitude on a small island that was linked to Lindisfarne by a land bridge when the tide was low. This tiny island, known as Saint Cuthbert’s Island, was a training ground of sorts—a place to grow in faith and in love for God.

I chose to name my blog after this island for two reasons:
1) I hope that it will be a place where I can spend time alone with God, growing in my love for Him.
2) Perhaps, when the tide is low, others may find their way to this tiny island
and, by God’s grace, be blessed by what they find there.

Friday, June 22, 2007

Numbed by Choice?

Recently I caught myself switching stations on my radio because I didn't care for the song that was playing. This is nothing new--in fact, such jumping from station to station frequently drives my wife crazy. So...why do I mention it?

The song I rushed to silence was a song of praise to our God. I didn't like the style or the guy's voice, so why should I listen to it? I am not suggesting that we need to subject ourselves to sub-par performances just because they deal with faith. What bothered me about this occurrence was how flippantly I dismissed the song. This was a song of reverence, yet I didn't think twice about rejecting it.

I'm not a high-churcher, but I really appreciate some of the rituals they embrace. I love the idea of standing for the reading of the Word. I will never forget being criticized by old women in Europe for setting my Bible down on the floor--this was disrespectful. I have so many Bibles, I don't give it much thought. But I think those ladies had a point--lack of respect tends toward rejection.

We are bombarded by choices today. We have Christian radio, tons of books, denominations galore, and even (Lord, have mercy) Christian television. I have more books than I could read in a year, and yet I want to buy more. Choice is a great thing. I celebrate the wealth of quality material that's out there. But I fear that choice has created in us a buffet-style mentality of sampling much, but feasting richly on very little. It has also given rise to a critical attitude, one where we critique the form rather than appreciating and embracing the message.

I want to fill my mind with that which is true, right, pure, and lovely (Philippians 4:8), but I don't want to just flit from place to place like a dragonfly over the surface of the waters. I want to drink deeply. This takes time and repetition. It takes commitment and faith in God.

More than anything else, I want to retain an attitude of reverence. I am sure I will change the radio dial from many more Christian songs. Yet as I do so, I don't want to be flippant. I don't want to grow callous. Reverence for God is something I want to cherish.

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer." (Psalm 19:14)

2 comments:

T. Michael W. Halcomb said...

Ahhh, Clay,
I know excatly what you're talking about!!! Honestly, though, because of what you're referring to, I have almost quit listening to Christian radio altogether. I've really been into talk radio lately because everything on the Christian channels are often so hokey.
I don't know, I don't see your "changing the station" so quickly as such a bad thing. In fact, I don't think a lot of those artists write or perform songs with nearly the same amount of reverence you wish you could listen to them with. Think about that ridiculous new Newsboys song "That's where the party's at." That is one of the most arrogant and cheesy songs I've ever heard!!!
Where's the reverance at in it? I don't see any; even though I know Peter Furler (the artist) is a devout believer. I don't know, I tend to think that if the songs were more heartfelt and not so corny, they would quit turning off believers and non-believers alike. As for me, my dial is set to 630WLAP, TalkRadio, a station that let's me analyze and think about the things going on in the world from a Christian perspective. Funny, but in many ways, I consider that form of giving my mind to God, a reverent act of worship.

Clay said...

Thanks, Mike. I see you found my little island. I need to comment on your blog. You're right, it's honoring to know that someone has taken the time to read your thoughts and to comment. God bless your effort to expound your faith via this media. May "Pistouomen" touch many hearts for the glory of God!