Why "St. Cuthbert's Island"?

Saint Cuthbert was a Celtic monk who lived in the 7th century.
He received visitors at his monastery in Northumbria and was even appointed a bishop, but he yearned for the life of an ascetic. While living at the monastery on the island of Lindisfarne, he sought to spend time with the Lord whenever possible. Early on, he practiced solitude on a small island that was linked to Lindisfarne by a land bridge when the tide was low. This tiny island, known as Saint Cuthbert’s Island, was a training ground of sorts—a place to grow in faith and in love for God.

I chose to name my blog after this island for two reasons:
1) I hope that it will be a place where I can spend time alone with God, growing in my love for Him.
2) Perhaps, when the tide is low, others may find their way to this tiny island
and, by God’s grace, be blessed by what they find there.

Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Pilgrimage Quote

July's focus in my devotional readings was "pilgrimage." Tuesday night I picked up a book I had begun to read earlier this year, and I realized it was devoted to this theme, too. So, I don't think I'm through with this yet. There's more to come!



For starters, here's a quote from the book I'm reading:


Pilgrim (parepidemos) tells us we are people who spend our lives going someplace, going to God, and whose path for getting there is the way, Jesus Christ. We realize that "this world is not my home" and set out for the "Father's house." Abraham, who "went out," is our archetype. Jesus, answering Thomas' question, "Lord, we do not know where you are going; how can we know the way?" gives us directions: "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but by me" (Jn. 14:5-6). The letter to the Hebrews defines our program: "Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with perseverance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus the pioneer and perfecter of our faith" (Heb. 12:1-2).


The book is A Long Obedience in the Same Direction by Eugene Peterson. (Don't you just love that title? Can you believe it is taken from a Friedrich Nietzsche quote?). I heard great things about this book and found it on Amazon.com for about a quarter. I'm sure I'll be referring to it more if I write more on pilgrimage (as I intend).

3 comments:

T. Michael W. Halcomb said...

Clay,
I'm there with you on the title; did not know it was from Nietzche. Fascinating.

Most stuff by Peterson is good. I loved his "Under the Unpredictable Plant" and my wife is currently reading his "Reversed Thunder". I have his "Christ Plays in 10 Thousand Places" but haven't got to get into yet. I'm looking forward to the days when I can just read some of this type of stuff; the Hebrew and Greek Grammars are incredible workouts for the mind. Not that Peterson's works aren't (there surely are if you are a thinking reader) but they're challenging in a different sort of way; you probably understand what I'm saying.

Much love bro.

Clay said...

Yeah, I hear you. I KNOW you don't have any time to read other books right now. You're eating, sleeping, and breathing Hebrew. In a twisted way, I'm envious!

I haven't read any of Peterson's works before (except the Message & a few excerpts). I'm looking forward to it. (I'm also listening to "Eat This Book" on audiobook.) Good stuff.

Love back at you, my friend.

gracie said...

"lay aside every weight"... will keep that in my thoughts today.

Thank you for your beautiful prayer for my son.