Why "St. Cuthbert's Island"?

Saint Cuthbert was a Celtic monk who lived in the 7th century.
He received visitors at his monastery in Northumbria and was even appointed a bishop, but he yearned for the life of an ascetic. While living at the monastery on the island of Lindisfarne, he sought to spend time with the Lord whenever possible. Early on, he practiced solitude on a small island that was linked to Lindisfarne by a land bridge when the tide was low. This tiny island, known as Saint Cuthbert’s Island, was a training ground of sorts—a place to grow in faith and in love for God.

I chose to name my blog after this island for two reasons:
1) I hope that it will be a place where I can spend time alone with God, growing in my love for Him.
2) Perhaps, when the tide is low, others may find their way to this tiny island
and, by God’s grace, be blessed by what they find there.

Friday, August 31, 2007

St. Aidan's Day

Today is St. Aidan's Day. Aidan, who died on this day in 651, was a missionary to the kingdom of Northumbria (now the northeastern part of England). He struck me because of his humility, his patience, and his perseverance. When the king sent for a monk to evangelize the region, Aidan prayed, "O Lord, give me the springs and I will water this land. I will go, Lord. I will hold this people in my heart."

He gave up the comforts of friends and familiar surroundings. He heeded the call of God. He took the people's burden upon himself. He opened his eyes to their pain, their waywardness, and their brokenness. He took up the cause of Christ. He let the wind of the Spirit blow through him, and the fire of the Lord covered the people.

He journeyed out in faith.
The Lord was with him.

God, please bless, protect, strengthen and use all who have journeyed out in faith for Your cause. May Your fire spread through them as well.

(thoughts based on Celtic Daily Prayer pp. 158-161)

No comments: