Why "St. Cuthbert's Island"?

Saint Cuthbert was a Celtic monk who lived in the 7th century.
He received visitors at his monastery in Northumbria and was even appointed a bishop, but he yearned for the life of an ascetic. While living at the monastery on the island of Lindisfarne, he sought to spend time with the Lord whenever possible. Early on, he practiced solitude on a small island that was linked to Lindisfarne by a land bridge when the tide was low. This tiny island, known as Saint Cuthbert’s Island, was a training ground of sorts—a place to grow in faith and in love for God.

I chose to name my blog after this island for two reasons:
1) I hope that it will be a place where I can spend time alone with God, growing in my love for Him.
2) Perhaps, when the tide is low, others may find their way to this tiny island
and, by God’s grace, be blessed by what they find there.

Friday, January 11, 2008

The God Who is Always Near

Yesterday I blogged about how God doesn't smother us with His presence but gives us space to choose Him. We are free to obey or disobey.

Very soon after posting, I read my daily devotional, which shows the other side of the coin--the God who is always near. Emmanuel. I was reminded of the lengths to which the Lord has gone to be intimately connected with us. The Spirit of God Himself indwells us. We are His children. After my comments of last night, I thought this was just too good not to post. So, plagiarism and all, here's the January 10th entry of Celtic Daily Prayer (p. 594):


I ever with Thee,
and Thou with me, Lord ...

'I am with you always,' He says. He is all around His people, as strong and reliable as the mountains. He wants us to be with Him, prepares a place for us to share, comes to our place, to our ordinariness, shares bread and wine at table. The commonplace is given great significance because of His presence.
Jesus often turned up in unexpected places and in unexpected ways. When we do not see Jesus around us, it is often because we do not look well enough.

Open my eyes to see.
I ever with Thee,
and Thou with me, Lord.

2 comments:

T. Michael W. Halcomb said...

Clay,

you listen to Rufus? didn't know that. i saw him live at Oberlin a few years ago.

doesn't wickham sound exactly and i mean exactly!!! like him? i was floored when i listened to that whole cd, i was like, "this is a christian rufus wainwright".

anyways, good posts lately. later bro.

Clay said...

Hey, Michael. Yeah I found Rufus Wainright last year while tooling around on last.fm. I love his voice. His lyrics sometimes really disappoint and upset me, so I have to choose carefully. (Kind of like Damien Rice, if you know what I mean).

Regardless, I love the Wickham CD. He does at times remind me of Rufus. Other times I hear a bit of Jeff Buckley and occasionally hints of Freddy Mercury. Good stuff...and you led me to him. Thanks!

I appreciate your comments, your faithfulness, and your friendship. I prayed for you when you were down the other day (convicted minister post). Thanks for checking on me.

Hopefully we can get together one of these days. Until then, I'll be reading your blog!

ciao. Much love.