Why "St. Cuthbert's Island"?

Saint Cuthbert was a Celtic monk who lived in the 7th century.
He received visitors at his monastery in Northumbria and was even appointed a bishop, but he yearned for the life of an ascetic. While living at the monastery on the island of Lindisfarne, he sought to spend time with the Lord whenever possible. Early on, he practiced solitude on a small island that was linked to Lindisfarne by a land bridge when the tide was low. This tiny island, known as Saint Cuthbert’s Island, was a training ground of sorts—a place to grow in faith and in love for God.

I chose to name my blog after this island for two reasons:
1) I hope that it will be a place where I can spend time alone with God, growing in my love for Him.
2) Perhaps, when the tide is low, others may find their way to this tiny island
and, by God’s grace, be blessed by what they find there.

Thursday, January 10, 2008

Reading the Bible

Two nights ago I woke up and couldn't get back to sleep. This may not be anything unusual for many folks, but for me it was a rare experience. Regardless of the circumstances, I have a real knack for being able to sleep. Tuesday night was different. My head was swimming with little details and big details--things I need to do at work and home and...unanswered questions. So, in the middle of the night, I started writing things down. I prayed. And the result of this sleepless bout surprised me.

During this time, I was convicted that I needed to...read my Bible!
What?!
I didn't get any insight about the future, nor did this really solve any of my problems. But I am now super ramped up about reading my Bible through in a year. The funny thing is that although I have two Bible related degrees, I have only read my Bible from cover to cover twice. Only once did I do this in a year's time.

When I think about this in conjunction with the other word from the Lord--"Look to Me"--it fits perfectly. I want God to be my vision. Reading the Bible will keep my focus on Him while allowing Him to speak to me. I feel sure that He will speak. I trust that He will lead.
I'm excited about God and eager to read His Word.

This can be nothing but good.

Thank You, sweet Father!

2 comments:

Candy said...

Clay - I've been gone and I'm just now catching up. I loved reading that you're excited about reading your Bible. I am anxious to hear more.

Clay said...

Thanks, Candy!
You are encouragement personified. Lately I've been dreaming of coming back to Abilene to work for one of the universities there. I don't have any reason to think that it might happen, but it would be wonderful. Who knows?
Hope you are well!