Why "St. Cuthbert's Island"?

Saint Cuthbert was a Celtic monk who lived in the 7th century.
He received visitors at his monastery in Northumbria and was even appointed a bishop, but he yearned for the life of an ascetic. While living at the monastery on the island of Lindisfarne, he sought to spend time with the Lord whenever possible. Early on, he practiced solitude on a small island that was linked to Lindisfarne by a land bridge when the tide was low. This tiny island, known as Saint Cuthbert’s Island, was a training ground of sorts—a place to grow in faith and in love for God.

I chose to name my blog after this island for two reasons:
1) I hope that it will be a place where I can spend time alone with God, growing in my love for Him.
2) Perhaps, when the tide is low, others may find their way to this tiny island
and, by God’s grace, be blessed by what they find there.

Sunday, December 2, 2007

Advent (1)

Today is the first Sunday of Advent. During the last couple of years, my family and I have been celebrating by lighting the candles of an advent wreath and focusing on key aspects of the holiday. As a boy, I had no idea about Advent. I didn't grow up in such a church tradition. In college, however, I began attending an Episcopalian church to participate in their holiday services. Ever since, I have tried to incorporate certain church traditions into my own devotional life.

So, if you too are unaware, Advent is a season of preparation for Christmas. Just as the Old Testament believers awaited the coming Messiah, we too await the Savior's return. Throughout Jesus' teachings, He implores us to be ready. And so, as Christmas draws near and we remember His advent (or coming) among us, we also look forward to His imminent future advent.

But that is not all. We are also able to prepare our hearts and our homes for His coming now. Thus, Advent is a season of examination, humility, repentance, and of "preparing a way for the Lord." Emmanuel--God is with us. "I light this candle on the first Sunday in Advent to remind us that we must prepare our hearts for the coming of the Christ Child" (Celebrating the Christian Year by Martha Zimmerman, p. 45--a great book).

The focus of this first week--the meaning of the first candle--is that of preparation. We become watchers and waiters, people marked by hope and trust. It is a time of expectation. Naturally, this should be our mindset always, but the Advent season gives us a special opportunity to refocus on this aspect of our faith.

I don't always live in expectancy. The return of Christ doesn't have the sense of immediacy that it should. And so, with a repentant heart, I turn tonight to face the Lord who humbled Himself to become a helpless baby, and say:
O come, o come Emmanuel,
And ransom captive Israel,
Who mourns in lowly exile here
Until the Son of God appears.
Rejoice, rejoice, Emmanuel shall come to thee, O Israel.

5 comments:

Danielle Knapp said...

Clay,
Thanks for your comment. I love Advent, it's something that I've only really begun keeping the last few years, and I love it. I love Lent too, but it's sooo heavy. Advent seems to be an ever-increasing joy of expectation.

You are the third person to include "O come, O come Immanuel" in your advent post. It almost makes me feel like a heathen that needs to go back and add it to mine. I love that it is a beesching invitation.

May your advent be blessed.

Clay said...

Thanks!
What other Advent posts have you read?

Danielle Knapp said...

http://annikah.livejournal.com/ (scroll down to the second entry)

http://www.xanga.com/bekahthompson
(scroll to the third entry)

Eventually I'll get a post up on the Incarnation.

Clay said...

Thanks, I'll check these out...and I look forward to reading your Incarnation post.

Allison said...

I asked all around last year about what "Advent" was, I guess I just didn't ask the right person. Thanks for the post. I wish I was home right now so I could talk to Elizabeth about it. I love you!