Why "St. Cuthbert's Island"?

Saint Cuthbert was a Celtic monk who lived in the 7th century.
He received visitors at his monastery in Northumbria and was even appointed a bishop, but he yearned for the life of an ascetic. While living at the monastery on the island of Lindisfarne, he sought to spend time with the Lord whenever possible. Early on, he practiced solitude on a small island that was linked to Lindisfarne by a land bridge when the tide was low. This tiny island, known as Saint Cuthbert’s Island, was a training ground of sorts—a place to grow in faith and in love for God.

I chose to name my blog after this island for two reasons:
1) I hope that it will be a place where I can spend time alone with God, growing in my love for Him.
2) Perhaps, when the tide is low, others may find their way to this tiny island
and, by God’s grace, be blessed by what they find there.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Psalm 122

I started to do a series on the Songs of Ascents (Psalms 120-134) quite some time ago. I have been at a crossroads of sorts throughout the past year, and I believe the Lord has impressed on me the image of our whole life as a pilgrimage. We are on a journey--a "going up," an ascent. We don't make a decision and then suddenly arrive. We walk it out. We walk with the Lord.

This is post #3 of 15. Eugene Peterson calls Psalm 120 a "Psalm of Repentance," Psalm 121 a "Psalm of Trust," and Psalm 122 a "Psalm of Worship." The delay in writing this blog entry does not reflect depth of engagement or struggle. Rather, it reflects being busy (and scattered?). In fact, the only reason I'm writing now is that I've put it off too long. As I begin, I'm not even sure I have much to say.

Well, now that you're on the edge of your seat (HA!), here's my translation of the psalm:

A song of ascents. Of David. I rejoiced with those saying to me,
“To the House of YHWH we go!”
Our feet were standing at your gates, Jerusalem.
Jerusalem, built as a city that is joined together as one whole.
There the tribes ascend, the tribes of the LORD, a reminder to Israel to praise the Name of the LORD.
For there remain the legal seats, the thrones of the House of David.
Desire the well-being of Jerusalem. May those that love you take it easy.
Wholeness be within your wall of defense, quiet unconcern within your palace.
For the sake of my relatives and my friends, I will now say, “Peace be within you!”
For the sake of the House of the LORD our God, may I seek your good.

Isn't there a wonderful sense of excitement and expectancy in this Psalm? We're going to the House of God! REJOICE! I love it! What an honor and a privilege.

Worship, and the assembly of saints, plays an important part in our journey. We are not alone. We walk as a company. We have a destination: Jerusalem, the heavenly City of God. Worship is our destiny. When we pray "Thy Kingdom come...", we're praying for heaven to become manifest now.

How many of us get reconnected through worship and through fellowship with brothers and sisters who love the Lord? In worship we become God-centered, develop a healthy God-esteem, and see things aright. We get a proper perspective. Our wounds are healed, our hope is renewed, our love is rekindled.

Peterson, commenting in A Long Obedience in the Same Direction, admits that we often don't feel like worshipping. But feelings, he says, are "great liars" and "completely unreliable in matters of faith." "Worship," explains Peterson, "is an act which develops feelings for God, not a feeling for God which is expressed in an act of worship." (All quotes are from page 50.)

So, in other words, we need worship. We need the assembly, thus Hebrews 10:25. As we meet together in Jesus' Name, He fulfills His promise to be among us. As we live in unity, God is glorified. As we love and pray for one another, we grow up in Him.

Psalm 122 is a love song for God's House, for God's City, and for meeting with Him in the company of His people. It is a beautiful thing! We, who are being built into God's House, will one day see Him there face to face. And until we do, we pray for the well being of His Kingdom and seek its good.

Worship is an essential part of the journey--a time when we regain our bearings, heal our wounds, recommit, sharpen our swords and come together as one. Worship whets our appetite for our hearts' true home.

May God bless your times of corporate worship this month. As we honor His Coming to us, may we be faithful in our going to Him as His people.

I rejoiced with those saying to me, "To the House of YHWH we go!"

"Peace be within you, Jerusalem!"

No comments: