Why "St. Cuthbert's Island"?

Saint Cuthbert was a Celtic monk who lived in the 7th century.
He received visitors at his monastery in Northumbria and was even appointed a bishop, but he yearned for the life of an ascetic. While living at the monastery on the island of Lindisfarne, he sought to spend time with the Lord whenever possible. Early on, he practiced solitude on a small island that was linked to Lindisfarne by a land bridge when the tide was low. This tiny island, known as Saint Cuthbert’s Island, was a training ground of sorts—a place to grow in faith and in love for God.

I chose to name my blog after this island for two reasons:
1) I hope that it will be a place where I can spend time alone with God, growing in my love for Him.
2) Perhaps, when the tide is low, others may find their way to this tiny island
and, by God’s grace, be blessed by what they find there.

Sunday, December 16, 2007

Advent (3)

"I light the candle on the third Sunday in Advent to remind us that the angels said, 'We have news of great joy!'"

As my six year old son, Joshua, read these words tonight, he burped somewhere after the word "news," bringing a sudden surge of joy to him and his 3 year old sister!

As we open our hearts to welcome the love of Jesus, we are filled with joy.

I'm glad we stop to remember that the coming of Jesus brings great joy. Too often Christians live austere lives and forget to celebrate the wonders we've been given. Christmas is the D-Day in the War against sadness, suffering, and sin! A great light has shone in the darkness--the Light of life, hope, truth, love, and joy everlasting!


"When they saw the star, they were overjoyed." --Matthew 2:10

May you also see something that leads you to Jesus this Christmas...
and may you too be overjoyed!

3 comments:

Candy said...

Great post! I love the story of your children. Why is it body noises are so dang funny? I think God made us that way for a reason. Spread the joy! By the way, I did see something that led me to Jesus and His joy this Christmas - and it was here - just now. Thank you Clay!

Clay said...

You are an awesome encourager, Candy. Every comment I've ever seen you make on a blog has had a touch of joy, love, faith, compassion, and encouragement. Thank you for being used by the Spirit!

Danielle Knapp said...

Thanks for all your kind words and encouraging comments. Thank you also for the insights on your own blog. Have a Merry and Blessed Christmas.